Disclaimer: Barstool sports is not yet live in Colorado. This review will be updated post the site’s launch in CO.
In February 2020, Penn National – owners of casinos and sportsbooks in multiple states – announced they were buying 36% of Barstool Sports.
A brand-new sports betting app is under development. This is expected to be available in the 3rd quarter of 2020. This will cover much more than the DFS style picks contests available on the current (national) Barstool Bets app. In the interim, here is a list of live Colorado sportsbooks.
While Penn National doesn’t directly own any casinos in Colorado, they do manage the Ameristar Casino in Black Hawk. That venue is favorite to host both retail and online sports betting under the Barstool Bets brand.
This page is a preview, based on what is known about Penn National (via its Hollywood Casinos properties), Barstool’s media empire, and the legal requirements for betting apps in Colorado.
Barstool Sportsbook Colorado: Welcome bonuses
If Penn National and Barstool make their public deadline of 3Q to launch their sportsbook, they will be entering a crowded scene in Colorado. Most rivals will have gone live on the May 1, 2020 kick-off. This is good news for prospective bettors. as Barstool will need an enticing welcome deal to get market share.
There are three types of bonuses on offer at online sportsbooks. Many offer a combination of a no-deposit free bet type offer and either a matched deposit bonus or risk-free first paid bet. Here are the possible Barstool Sportsbook bonuses:
- No deposit bet: Expect a smaller bet (up to around $20) for registering, with no deposit required. Minimum odds and strict time limits are applied to this type of betting bonus.
- Matched deposit bonus: Typical offers involve a 100% match on your first deposit up to $500. You’ll need to bet this bonus money, which comes in the form of betting credits, not cash.
- Risk-free first bet: An alternative welcome offer involves your stake being returned if your first paid bet loses. Amounts vary, from $100 to $500. Your returned stake is in the form of betting credits.
Barstool Sportsbook Promo Code March 2021
|Online Sportsbook||Barstool Sportsbook|
|No Deposit Bonus||TBD|
|Risk Free Bet||TBD|
|Last Updated||March 2021|
Promotions tied to Barstool Media
The other popular media/sports betting tie-in is between StarsBet and FOX Sports. They have linked player promotions to the picks made by hosts of their popular shows. Barstool has a great opportunity to do something similar.
Hosts including KFC, Big Cat, and El Presidente could make selections, which then get enhanced odds or bet insurance/refund type deals attached. This could be the tip of the iceberg in terms of cross over deals with the media brand.
Other sportsbook apps in Colorado have a loyalty program. These vary, some offer fixed returns, others are tiered with increasing benefits as you move up. Barstool Bets will need to offer something along similar lines to be competitive in the Centennial State.
Is the Barstool Colorado Sports betting app legal?
Penn National doesn’t currently own a property in Colorado. It did own Bullwhacker’s Casino in Black Hawk, though this has since been sold. They do manage the Ameristar Casino, which has yet to announce a sports betting partner. This is one of the larger casinos in Black Hawk, and an obvious fit with the new Barstool Bets brand. No official announcement has been made at the time of writing.
With 33 casinos in Colorado, there are plenty of potential partners that have not already announced deals.
Sports betting was made legal in CO in a referendum in November 2019. Known as ‘Proposition DD’, this passed a state-wide vote narrowly. It allowed House Bill 1327, which set out a licensing framework for online and retail sports betting, to become law. The first sportsbooks went live in May 2020.
Downloading the Barstool Sports betting apps
There are three ways to place bets in Colorado. You can visit a retail sportsbook at a casino in Black Hawk, Cripple Creek or Central City or go online via desktops, Android, or iOS devices.
Most people will choose the more convenient online betting option. From a desktop or laptop computer, you’ll be able to bet via website-based sportsbooks. If you are using a smartphone or tablet, you’ll need to install the Barstool Sports betting app.
Apps include geo-location technology. This shows that you are inside state lines, which is a requirement before you can place a bet.
Barstool Bets will be able to detect whether you are using an Android smartphone or iPhone/iPad when you visit their website. You’ll then be offered the correct download. For Android users, the download will come from Barstool directly. Depending on your device, you’ll need to dismiss some warning messages about downloading from an ‘unknown source’.
Getting around the Barstool betting apps
We already know how the branding will look with the distinctive sideways stool logo and clean navigation a given. We also have a good idea of how the app will be laid out. While each Colorado betting app has some unique attributes, the navigation and layout follow a similar pattern.
First, you’ll need to find the sport, league, and then individual match(es) you want to bet on. The most popular pro leagues will be featured on a menu which will appear on the left. This will include live matches – which you’ll be able to bet on while they take place. For other sports, you’ll find an A-Z or fill list linked here.
Once your sport appears, you can drill down the divisions, conferences or choose college (or international) fixtures via tabs. When you find an individual match, this will have the popular singles bets showing only. If you want to bet the moneyline, totals or spread – then click on the lines to add them to your bet slip. Otherwise, clicking the ‘more bets’ link will give you a full list of the lines.
The final step is to visit your bet slip. On some apps this appears at the bottom – and will appear when you tap it. On others, you’ll access this via the main menu.
No bet is placed until confirmed. You can remove anything unwanted from your bet slip before you finish. The remaining selections can be combined into multiple bets like parlays or round robins, or you can place singles. The final step is to set the amount to wager, then confirm your bet.
Barstool Colorado: Sports markets to bet on
Barstool cover the pro sports leagues in depth – though there is much more to the media giant than just betting on the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. Here is the full list of sports currently on the Barstool Sports main menu:
- College Basketball
- College Football
They also feature motor racing. This list is seasonal, with different sports (and international fixtures) swapping out the current ones as the year progresses.
Depending on who Barstool partner with for their technology back-end, this list could be expanded. For example, many brands use Kambi to provide odds and markets for niche sports and games/leagues from around the world.
What kind of bets can I place at Barstool in Colorado?
Barstool will be expanding from their current list of small picks style (DFS) contests into a full range of sports betting wagers. These can be split into single match bets, multiples (parlays) and special bets like props.
A new type of betting that online sportsbooks offer is live betting. This is also known as in-play betting by some brands. The bets you’ll place are the single match wagers listed below. The difference is that you can place them while the action is underway via your app. The name ‘Barstool’ is perfect for this type of betting – with the possibility of placing bets literally from your bar stool while you enjoy the game.
Here are the types of bet you’ll find at the Barstool Bets sportsbook:
- Moneyline: You’ll bet on the team you expect to win, with the odds provided by Barstool.
- Spread: Here Barstool will level the chances of the teams, by adding points / goals to the underdog.
- Totals: The combined points/goals of both teams are shown, you can choose to bet the under or the over.
- Parlays: You bet on 2+ matches, all of your selections need to win for this bet to pay out.
- Teasers: Also called ‘alternative spreads’, this type of parlay has spreads to improve your winning chances.
- Round robins: Combine parlays in different combinations, if one team loses – you can still get paid.
- Futures: Any bet on an event some way off, for example winners of next year’s Super Bowl.
- Prop bets: A bet on something that is not the match outcome. First player to score, highest scoring player and so on.
- Period bets: Instead of wagering on the entire match, this might cover the first quarter, or final period.
Barstool Bets Colorado: Depositing and withdrawing
Barstool Sportsbook App Android Free
Unless you get lucky with your no-deposit free bet deals, you’ll need to fund your sports betting account. A significant benefit to regulated sportsbooks in Colorado, is that many easy deposit and withdrawal methods are now available. For many people, using a credit or debit card in the same way as making any online purchase is the easiest of all. Others prefer to keep their regular spending and sports betting separated,while some people prefer the security of third-party payment systems.
Here is the full list of ways you’ll be able to deposit and withdraw from Barstool Bets in Colorado:
- Credit and debit cards: Big brands like Visa, MasterCard, Discover and (sometimes) Amex can be used to fund you betting account. Depositing will follow exactly the same process as making any online purchase.
- Prepaid cards: Many sportsbook brands have partnered with Discover to bring branded debit cards to their players. It is not known whether Barstool will follow the likes of DraftKings and FanDuel and bring out a ‘Barstool Bets Card’.
- PayPal: The most popular electronic wallet service is widely welcomed at legal/regulated online sportsbooks. This provides a secure online wallet between your bank and Barstool in exchange for small fees.
- Skrill/Neteller: These are similar services to PayPal in the electronic wallet space. Both are popular with gambling brands.
- ACH bank transfers: This payment option is also known as ‘e-Checks’. It is a local bank transfer direct to your Barstool account. If you get verified in advance, ACH transfers become instant.
- Bank wires: A slower, secure payment option which is still popular where very large transfers are required.
- Bill pay: Some sportsbooks allow you to fund your account in the same way that you’d pay a utility bill. This method is only available at some banks.
- Cash at cage: Once we confirm which casino (Ameristar or otherwise) Barstool will be partnering with, the options for paying in cash at the cage of a Colorado casino will become clear.
- PayNearMe: You can pay cash at the cashier of 7-Eleven stores to fund your betting account. Note that this does incur fees.
About Barstool Sports
Barstool sports started as a sports-only magazine in 2003. This covers the Boston area, offering fantasy sports content. They moved online in 2007. Since then Barstool has expanded the topics covered. In addition to their sports coverage, they cover popular culture and celebrity news.
You can enter picks contests online at Barstool Sports. This site is a bit-player in a DFS space dominated by DraftKings and FanDuel.
More recently, the brand has expanded into video content. Regular shows include the ‘Barstool Rundown’, ‘Million Dollaz worth of Game’, and ‘Everybody is Awful (Except You)’.
In 2020, Penn National announced they were acquiring 36% of Barstool.
About Penn National Gaming
Penn National has grown into a major casino operator. This company has history going back to the late 1960’s, when its predecessors took advantage of legal changes in Pennsylvania to build horse racing tracks.
Today, Penn National operate 43 casino properties in 17 jurisdictions domestically and in Canada. Many of these are under the ‘Hollywood Casino’ brand.
While Penn National Gaming no longer own a Colorado casino (after selling Bushwhacker’s), they manage the Ameristar Casino in Black Hawk. This property is owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties Ltd. In PA, this company has partnered with betting giant William Hill for their retail and online sportsbooks.
Wrapping up: Bet online at the Barstool Sportsbook in Colorado
This book will open in the third quarter of 2020. As a joint venture between the casino giant Penn National and a huge media brand, Barstool Bets is expected to hit the ground running.
Barstool will be entering a crowded market. This means bettors can expect some solid welcome offers in an attempt to attract them from their current books. You’ll be able to bet online via apps or at the Ameristar Casino in Black Hawk, where Penn National manage a major casino.
Tying media content with sports betting has been a success for brands including FOX Bet and theScore in other legal betting states. The unique Barstool brand looks to do the same.
Barstool Sportsbook debuted in Illinois with the launch of retail sportsbooks at Hollywood Casino Aurora and Hollywood Casino Joliet, both Penn National Gaming properties.
Now that Barstool Sportsbook is operational in a retail capacity, the launch of mobile betting should follow soon.
With launch day quickly approaching, we present this early Barstool Sportsbook review to introduce the brand to sports bettors in Illinois. This review will discuss what we know so far and will be updated as we learn more and again after mobile betting goes live.
Readers may also visit BarstoolSports.com/barstool-sportsbook in the meantime to register for e-mail updates and to be notified when mobile betting goes live.
The Barstool Sportsbook Rundown
- Established: 2020
- Mobile Apps: iOS and Android apps coming soon
- Website: To be announced
- Sports Covered: Will likely cover pro and college sports across the US and abroad
- Welcome Bonus: To be announced
- License Status: Approved (Penn Sports Interactive, LLC)
About Barstool Sportsbook
The Barstool Sportsbook brand comes to Illinois courtesy of a partnership between casino operator Penn National Gaming and sports media outlet Barstool Sports.
For those unfamiliar with Barstool Sports, the company serves as one of the nation’s major sports betting news, commentary and podcasting operations. Barstool Sports was established in 2003 by Dave Portnoy, who remains the outspoken and occasionally controversial public face of the company to this day.
In January 2020, Penn National Gaming acquired a 36% interest in Barstool Sports for $163 million in cash and stock as a part of a deal that would see Barstool Sports serve as Penn National’s official gaming provider.
At a glance, the partnership agreement appears to be a smart fit for both operators.
Barstool Sports brings with it a massive and dedicated userbase as a sports media outlet that logs upwards of 66 million unique visitors per month. With a large customer database, Barstool Sportsbook can hit the ground running and compete against major operators such as DraftKings and FanDuel that also have large userbases.
Meanwhile, Penn National Gaming provides market access as the parent company of properties in 19 states across the country. In Illinois, that means Barstool Sportsbook may operate off a sports betting license held by one of Penn National’s locations rather than opt for a more expensive online-only license.
Company officials have also hinted at offering more than just a simple sportsbook where customers go to log on, place bets and log off. Rather, Barstool Sportsbook intends to offer a more social experience with Barstool personalities interacting with customers, live events and more.
A Penn National presentation from early 2020 offers a preview of the partnership’s approach to the sports betting and gaming business:
- Penn National will leverage Barstool Sports’ brand name to promote its retail sportsbooks, mobile betting and online casino products
- Barstool Sportsbook provides Penn National a “complementary” audience that already has “a strong affinity for sports and gaming”
- Key Barstool Sports talent will be “highly incentivized” to grow Penn National’s business and minimize new customer acquisition costs
- Barstool will make use of its “key talent, live events and tailored content” to promote Penn National casinos
- Penn National will create a custom “omni-channel sports betting and casino ecosystem for retail and digital customers across the U.S.”
When Will Barstool Sportsbook Illinois Launch?
Barstool Sports CEO Erika Nardini told FOX Business in an interview this summer that the company aims to launch mobile betting in September.
The proposed launch date corresponds with the anticipated start of the NFL season, even in a year in which many things are still uncertain due to COVID-19 concerns.
Pennsylvania appears to be first on the list according to comments from Penn National and Barstool Sports insiders. Even if that holds true, Illinois will not be far behind as the company appear to have nearly everything in place to go live once approved by the Illinois Gaming Board (IGB).
Barstool Sportsbook Bonus
Barstool Sportsbook will likely offer a welcome bonus of some sort to all new customers as it will face no shortage of competition in Illinois.
What form that bonus will take remains to be seen, but common types of welcome offers seen in the industry include:
- A deposit match bonus: This would offer new customers an amount of cash or credit corresponding to the size of their first deposit. For example, the Barstool Sportsbook bonus could choose to offer a 100% up to $500 bonus that would effectively double each new user’s first deposit.
- Risk free bet offer: A risk-free bet offer would promise to refund each customer’s first wager with cash or site credit if it loses, up to a certain amount.
- No-deposit bonus: No-deposit bonuses tend to be smaller but offered in addition to a standard deposit bonus. As an example, Barstool Sports could opt to give all new users $10 free to place a bet just for registering an account.
Mobile App Review
Barstool Sportsbook will offer mobile betting from day one, but the company has issued few details on how the app will look and function. It is safe to bet apps will be provided for iOS and Android devices alike, along with a website for desktop betting.
If the existing Barstool Bets app is any preview of what’s to come, the Barstool Sportsbook app will be sleek, functional and easy to use. Details are lacking at the moment, but eventually the Barstool Sportsbook app is likely to offer standard wagering, in-game betting and certain social features to connect bettors with Barstool Sports personalities, content and highlights.
However, Penn Sports says it has an in-house product development for the Barstool Sports app. This means the end product will not be a simple reskin of Barstool Bets but rather an entirely new betting app built from the ground up. Narcos slot game free play.
Barstool Bets App
The Barstool Bets app functions as the company’s sports betting news and gambling entertainment arm
Users can download the Barstool Bets app to follow BSS personalities, read betting previews, listen to podcasts and participate in free-to-play contests for a chance to win real money. In states where online sports betting isn’t yet legal, Barstool Bets keeps fans involved and up to date legally.
Barstool Bets contests basically function as handicapping competitions but free to enter. For example, players might enter a contest covering a single NFL game and are given 1,000 points to place in-game “wagers” throughout the game. The contestants with largest points balances at the end earn real payouts.
Betting Markets and Types of Wagers
Barstool Sportsbook has not revealed the full extent of sports it will cover or wagering options it will provide, but we can reasonably guess it will feature a full menu of college and professional sports plus in-game wagering.
Regulations adopted by the IGB allow operators to accept wagers on most types of sports events. The most notable restrictions are that sportsbooks may not take bets on minor league sports or events involving Illinois colleges.
Barstool Sportsbook Promo
Barstool Sportsbook Deposit Methods
Barstool Pizza App
Which deposit methods Barstool Sportsbook will accept is also unknown at this early stage. However, Barstool Sportsbook customers will likely have a few options to choose from. Illinois regulations allow licensed operators to accept deposits via:
- Credit and debit cards: Visa and Mastercard will likely be accepted; Discover is a maybe
- Cash at the cage: Licensed betting sites are permitted to accept in-person deposits at the casino with which they are partnered
- Reloadable prepaid cards: Play+ is the most popular reloadable card used by the industry. It allows customers to fund their accounts online instantly similar to an e-wallet but also includes physical card that may be used wherever Discover is accepted. Customers may deposit online the same day they sign up and will receive the actual card in the mail later.
- Online banking: Transfer funds directly from a bank account to one’s betting account – free and instant.
Barstool Sportsbook Android App
Best Illinois Sportsbooks
Barstool Sports Sportsbook
- BetRivers IL
- PointsBet IL
- DraftKings Sportsbook